Thursday, September 11, 2008

Sept 11 in the news

This morning I awoke to shocking images of burning buildings and mass chaos on my television screen.

My TV, was left on MSNBC from the night before. With sleep still in my eyes, and the word "LIVE" in huge letters on the screen's corner, it took a while for me to process that the screen's events were not, in fact, occurring live.

MSNBC broadcast the real time coverage of the September 11 attacks this morning, so that viewers could relive the unfolding of events. Once I snapped out of my state of dillusion, it was tragic and fascinating to watch that day's events unfold unedited before my eyes.

The towers fell, the pentagon was evacuated, and a plane crashed in Pennsylvania with the words LIVE appearing in the corner. The strange occurrence nearly prompted me to yell directions to the people on the screen. It was truly bizarre to watch that same startling sequence of events we witnessed 7 years ago, only knowing the outcome that has followed.

They say hindsight is 20/20 but nothing on that screen was clear.

0 comments: